Here is a recipe for a common springtime edible mushroom, cerioporus squamosus or the Pheasant’s back, also called Dryad’s saddle. Although easy to identify, it’s not the tastiest of mushrooms…but with enough soy or barbecue sauce it can be pretty good!
Marinade (adjust to your liking)
2 c. red wine vinegar
1/3 c. olive oil
swig of sesame oil
2/3 c. tamari (soy sauce)
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
Optional liquid smoke
- Slice off the tender edge part of the mushroom into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Marinate sliced mushrooms 2 nights in refrigerator.
- Arrange pieces on cookie racks and place over cookie sheets to catch drips then bake in 350 degrees F oven for 30 minutes, strips should still be tender.
- Cool and then brush w/vegan Worcestershire sauce or barbecue sauce and sprinkle with black pepper to taste.
- Place on dehydrator racks and dry for 12-24 hours, but don’t over-dry–leave a bit chewy.